Wednesday, March 21, 2018


More from Bauang

This week was a little crazy. On Monday night we received the call to transfer to another house in Bauang and when we got there on Tuesday morning there was a lot to do to fix up the apartment. We ended up calling the other sisters over and we worked really really hard but now the apartment is really nice. We spent two days showing our old area to the new elders.  They worked so hard in our new areas and extended lots of IBDs. They are taking care of our area there and it made us so happy that we completely trust those elders with our old area.

On Thursday and Friday we had to take care of the paperwork for the marriage of Sister Mayla Lou and Brother Arnold. It was a long and arduous process to be honest. I actually got frustrated at Sister Mayla's attitude because it just felt like we were doing everything to help them with their marriage and to help them with the gospel but she is just not doing it. How much time and tears and prayers and work and she just doesn't get it. She's been taught for months now. But then when I tried to understand her the way the Savior saw her I saw a young mother overwhelmed with her many children and trying to find happiness in a world of poverty and despair. I saw someone who didn't have support from parents starting at an early age and didn't know where to go and maybe made some mistakes in her life. Her husband has been much more supportive to us when before he used to hide from the missionaries. But starting a couple weeks ago he's been listening to the missionary lessons, has expressed great desire to be with his family eternally, and been reading the Book of Mormon assignments really early in the morning when he is alone before he goes to work. I'm sure the Savior gets frustrated and sad when people don't understand but He loves families and believes in them. His love changes hearts.

We taught Brother Rafael last night. Sometimes I get nervous because I don't always know all the answers to all his questions and how to explain it perfectly. When I share something I often stumble over my words. But it is clear from what he shared that he is searching for the truth so diligently and his deepest desire is to teach the truth. That's when we shared 1 Nephi 13 and read the whole chapter with him. Brother Rafael was so intrigued! He loved the chapter because it taught the apostasy so clearly for him -- his background on the apostasy is fantastic. He said that he believed it was possible that a restoration was needed, that God could call a prophet in these days, and that other scriptures could be brought forth. He said he would continue to read from the Book of Mormon and pray if it was true.

KC and Jarwin are the young couple that are so prepared to hear the gospel. They are truly prepared and reading the Book of Mormon. They are starting to come to church. I have no doubt about them joining the church. We are so excited for them. Someday they are going to be sealed with their child that was lost -- sealed in the temple for time and all eternity.

Juliet is an investigator of the sisters noon. Yesterday she explained the feelings of the Holy Ghost perfectly every time she reads the Book of Mormon and the Bible, and how she shares it with her boyfriend and all of a sudden wants to share the gospel. We explained to her that she was being changed through the Spirit of God, and that she was exercising faith and repenting, but that it wasn't enough. That she needed the ordinances of baptism and confirmation to fully enjoy the blessings that Heavenly Father has for her. She was scared of what her father would say -- because he is so against changing religion -- but she accepted a date in April and to pray for strength to do what she knows is right.

Just a few highlights of the week. District conference was fun because I saw all the recent converts from Naguilian be ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood. They are all active in the church and have greatly strengthened the Elders Quorum there. I'm particularly excited about Brother Nuevo because he is now the ward assistant mission leader and Brother Wally because his girlfriend is leaving to serve a mission and I'm starting to hope that he will serve a mission too!

I'm so grateful for those things. But to be honest I still have feelings of falling short and not doing enough. I know the first half of my mission was really rough as far as circumstances go and I feel as if I have wasted part of my mission. Even though my deepest desire is to serve and bring others to the gospel-- sometimes I fall short, I don't get things done I wish I had, I don't say the right thing, I get really tired, I have to be patient with those around me and patient with time. Honestly I feel like the proselyting hours go by too fast-- if I could I would spend all day and all night proselyting because there are so many people that need the gospel. Sometimes I'm still shy or don't know what to say. But I believe in the power of the Atonement to change the lives of others so I know I must believe in it for myself.

Sister Porter



No comments:

Post a Comment