Monday, October 9, 2017

Hello from Naguilian

I feel that this week was really a success. I have truly been blessed with seeing God's guiding hand in my life and I have seen my heart change more than maybe any other time in my whole mission so far. I feel more converted to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ than any other time before. I just can't even believe what my Savior has done for me and how aware He is of what I need and how I feel at all times.  I believe I was sent here with Sister Ballesteros. Seriously, I know He sent her to me for a reason. I have seen power in my life that has helped me fulfill my calling that I have never had before. It doesn't mean I've been perfect; I have had to learn a lot. But I've seen myself change more than ever before. I'm very very optimistic about training and the future of Naguilian Branch and the people in it.

This week I've had to learn humility. I know that there are many things I still have to learn, to take correcting counsel, to recognize that the Lord has the perfect plan and that I just need to trust Him no matter what happens, and to just love people and see beyond what I see on the outside. That has helped me so much with my relationships with my companion, other missionaries, members, and investigators. That there are things we cannot see and it's so important to pray for the gift of discernment and practice inspired questions, listening and trying to understand their point of view and the struggles they have in their hearts. Every person has those kind of struggles with understanding their identity and purpose of trials and finding purpose in their life. It has helped me look at people with so much more charity. Sometimes I've felt frustrated or hurt or misunderstood, but when I prayed for Heavenly Father and told him the feelings of my heart, those feelings leave me and I can go and try to understand others or have the humility to confess my faults or mistakes, or to try to make decisions based on the needs of others.

I believe with all my heart that Heavenly Father sent my companion to me because I need to just LOVE her. We need each other to learn and grow, and I've seen so much improvement in our How to Begin Teaching and Teach People Not Lessons. We were trying to visit an investigator the other day and he wasn't there so we happened upon a member who invited us in to get to know her. Within 10 minutes she was crying about how she was left to take care of her 2, 6, and 8 year old children while her husband has been working in Saudi Arabia for 2 years to bring money home. She felt that her efforts were not good enough for God and she made mistakes. We were able to testify to her that God sent us to her at that time exactly to share with her the message that Jeffrey R Holland taught about perfection and relying on Christ. We testified to her of the power of the Book of Mormon in her life. We tried to be really cheerful and sing hymns as we tried to explore our area and find investigators. We tried to focus on their lives and show them how the gospel would change their lives and be relevant to them.

We found some teenagers this week with enormous potential. They will be baptized someday in the Lord's timing. Jerome is a friend of Islander Antonio, a 19 year old getting ready to serve his mission. We met Jerome for 20 minutes Saturday Night and offered to teach him later tonight and invited him to General Conference. Saturday morning we found him wearing one of Islander's ties for the first time in his life and listening to General Conference. Truly the Lord is pouring out His Spirit on the rising generation -- I believe this generation is truly a chosen generation as most of the progressing investigators I have met are teenagers or young adults searching for the truth and meaning in their lives. We received a referral yesterday in Lioac Sur -- his name is Wally Lacuanan and he is the 21 year old boyfriend of a member in Bauang. He came to general conference with his girlfriend and we are so excited to get to know him and his family and teach them the gospel.


We are trying to improve our teaching skills in clarity and with responding to the promptings of the Spirit's for the understanding and needs of the investigators. The Spirit is truly what converts and if there is no Spirit, nothing will happen. But I know that this is the true church and the power of the Spirit and the Book of Mormon and the faith of members, missionaries, and investigators works miracles. I am very aware of my imperfections, but I will put my trust in the Savior and trust in His perfect plan for me and improve every day and repent every day. I cried so hard during Jeffrey R Holland’s talk. It was the most powerful conference I have ever had in my life. God spoke to me individually this weekend.
Sister Porter



No comments:

Post a Comment