Monday, October 23, 2017

Naimbag nga malum!

Naguillian is the PRETTIEST area and the area I have been wishing for my whole mission. Lots of rice fields and farmers and people here are very poor but the nicest people I have met in my whole life. They share everything they have. Our leaders in Naguillian are wonderful. One of them reminds me of the Pilipina Jenay Hopkins. Sister Josie Manalo. She's like the missionary mom daw.

As far as training goes, it's going just fine. From the get go we have been equal companions because it just doesn't work any other way. We are learning tons from the training program and we aren't perfect though but we keep trying at least. I'm very well aware that I'm not the most qualified missionary for the job but we are enjoying Naguillian, even though it's hard to know how to help investigators sometimes. The only thing we know how to do sometimes is just be there for them and teach the lessons according to their needs. That's our job anyway.

This week I tried isaw from a member.  It’s a street food and I don’t usually eat it but I trusted the member’s food haha and I had it. It’s barbequed chicken intestine on a stick.  I am pretty proud of myself haha.  Next is balot (fermented duck eggs)!  Sister Ballesteros loves my omelets and rice:) I experiment sometimes and make a pasta that you used to make back home with macaroni and cheese and beans and ground beef. But of course I make it Philippines style.  People pretty much eat rice here and if they have money to add ulam onto it like meat or vegetables or anything fried.

We had some really interesting experiences this week. We helped people with their palay!  Right now is the season for harvesting palay -- rice that hasn't been shelled yet. We helped an old lady gather the palay that they lay to dry on the sheets and ended up giving her a Book of Mormon. She was super cool because she lived in China for 20 years and remembered missionaries there that were offering to teach her English. Her name is Clarita Micua. I've been wanting to do that forever so I was really excited to help!!

We also sat with a less active family last night -- Vilma Gonzalez is dying from cancer and diabetes and she hasn't eaten in three days or even spoken. It reminded me of the miracles that Jesus did to people suffering like that so we taught a lesson from Mosiah 3. President Baybay came and gave her a blessing, and we are waiting to see what happens. According to faith and the will of the Lord but I believe 100% in the power of God and in miracles.

We had a great zone conference this week.  It helped me realize that sometimes the hard feelings of disappointment are actually a very real and necessary part of life. But there are really two ways you can respond to those disappointments. You can act with faith in Jesus Christ, repent, and then improve every day, or you can get discouraged and eventually give up. Discouragement is a waning of faith, and no matter how hard things can get we must hold tight to the faith that God fulfills all his promises and the only failure is to stop trying and stop repenting. I love that so much, and already that doctrine of the gospel is changing my entire outlook on life.

Alma 26
22 Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing—unto such it is given to know the mysteries of God; yea, unto such it shall be given to reveal things which never have been revealed; yea, and it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance, even as it has been given unto us to bring these our brethren to repentance.

I have no doubt in my mind that if you do those things that 1000s of souls can be brought to repentance if we are truly converted to the gospel. We have to keep trying different finding tools, or improve ang sarili natin, but I believe that. It took 14 years for Ammon and the sons of Mosiah to teach the Lamanites, and sometimes we have to be patient. But I know that there are so many souls out there that need us so so much and in this area I've never been so encouraged that there are people ready for the gospel. And almost all of the success I have seen is humble youth.

One of the most prepared youth I have met on my mission is Wally Licuanan. From our very first meeting with him his countenance was enough for us to realize the Spirit of the Lord was working with him. He listens intently to everything we say. Our first meeting he said that even though it was really hard to get work off that he would immediately talk to his boss about getting to church. And he was true to his word. We love to teach him. We are teaching him at a less active member's house and hopefully this week his girlfriend will be able to join us and some other SA members in the ward. He's so so good -- basically all who know him tell us that wala siyang vices, he was no particle of bad in him. We love him so much.

Jerome Bautista is doing good as well. Aljean Garcia and Jerome Bautista love it when we come and teach them. Jerome Bautista has had a hard life, but you could just see how much he is looking for the truth and how to change his life. He brings the Book of Mormon with him EVERYWHERE -- at school, when he wakes up, at work, before he goes to bed. He is still a little nervous to pray because before this he has never prayed in his life. He is truly a humble seeker of truth and for the Atonement of Jesus Christ and we are so blessed to be able to teach him. Over time we are sure that with the Lord's help he can overcome all his hardships and will become a strong member of the church and even serve a mission. He's only 18!

Sister Ballesteros is an amazing companion and I couldn't be more blessed. She loves to serve and love others including me. She is so understanding, diligent to the Lord, and positive. She sees the good in everyone and has helped me to pray for charity so I can always do the same.

Sister Porter



No comments:

Post a Comment