Thursday, March 23, 2017

Mabuhay sa Pilipinas!!

Kumusta po kayo!?

This was my first week in the Philippines, and well.... it's been a bit of a culture shock haha.
The first day in the Manila MTC they sent us into the heart of Manila to teach with an older companion. Oh my gosh I stick out like a sore thumb! Seriously. I am literally a foot taller than everyone and everyone knows it. But, I got to bear my testimony of Jesus Christ for the first time to a nanay that lives with her family in a tiny cardboard shack, and she said that even though she didn't understand everything I said, that the Spirit testified to her about what I said. The Spirit is the teacher, not me! I know that when we testify of Jesus Christ, people feel it, and that's the reason why I am here. To help people find Him in their lives. 
Manila is very poor. I think it's the most crowded city in the world! 12-13 million people. Most people live in one room shacks with their family.

Last Wednesday I met my mission president. He's very nice, but speaks mostly Tagalog so I can't really communicate with him yet so I'll work on that. My interview was kinda short kasi I couldn't say much haha. I hope he knows though that I'm here to work. 
Thursday I met my companion and went to my new area! And guess where I got assigned....... BAGUIO CITY of course haha I had a feeling. Everyone talks to me about Baguio city although honestly it is a very small part of our mission and the rest of the mission is on the beach and some of the hottest areas of the Philippines. I am in an area in Baguio City where all the houses are stacked together on the sides of mountains. It's a little more westernized in the city proper, but where I am people are still poor and there's a lot of stone and metal shacks, but people are better off than in Manila for sure. My companion is Sister Agnar. She's Filipino! So I'm learning lots of Tagalog from her! Sometimes it's a little hard to communicate, which can be frustrating, but I've learned a ton of Tagalog in the last week. She's super cute! I'll try to get some more photos.

Our apartment is actually not too bad. Bucket showers from now on, but since it's so cold in Baguio City we have some warm water. And.... we get beds! I don't really get to exercise much, and I can't run anymore, but I'm trying to cope haha and trust that God will help me. We mostly have rice and bread for meals; fruit is too expensive.

Cultural Note of the Week:
 Filipinos point with their lips, not with their hands haha. 

Spiritual Thought:
2 Nephi 10:20 -- "And now, my beloved brethren, seeing that our merciful God has given us so great knowledge concerning these things, let us remember concerning these things, let us remember him, and lay aside our sins, and not not hang down our heads, for we are not cast off." This scripture was very comforting to me this week. We can be happy and feel peace even though things are different and confusing and maybe we don't know what to do. Jesus Christ is everything.

I love you love you all! Your emails and photos truly mean a lot to me! I wish I had more time to get to everyone personally, so don't be offended I truly love and miss you all! Sa pamamagitan ni JesuCristo, magagawin natin ang lahat ng mga bagay! Mahal tayo ng Dios! Siya ay Ating Ama sa Langit! At tatanggapin natin ang buhay ng walang-hanggan kung sundin natin sa Kanya!

All the love! Mahal ko kayo!
Sister Porter






No comments:

Post a Comment