Monday, November 13, 2017

Halfway through training


Magandang umaga po

This week was a little bit of a down week on stats but we are definitely trying new things. We are writing a proposal letter here in the computer shop to send to the Baranggay captains about film showings of Finding Faith in Christ to brighten up the Christmas spirit here in Naguilian. We are thinking about doing it in Naguilian High too.

Our door to door knocking this week was a little hard because we weren't received too well. Sometimes we felt like we didn't know what to say or stumbled on our words or felt a little lost. But it increased our commitment to really listen to the Spirit and he really will direct us where to go. We have to trust Him because it is His work and not ours. He knows who is prepared. Hundreds and thousands of people can learn the truth through our efforts if we have faith-- do good works, repent, and pray continually without ceasing. I know that my heart has been purified during my mission! I will continue to hope and pray and keep getting up even after I fall, as a companionship pray for the faith that the Lord will guide us if we don't doubt Him. Doubt leads to fear or holding back, which is not something I ever want to fall victim to. There have been a lot of miracles in Naguilian this week -- tons of people came to church this week.

Wally Licuanan had his baptismal interview yesterday. He really wants to be baptized this upcoming Saturday. We were amazed by his humility and sure testimony that he found Jesus Christ in this church and it was the true church on the earth. Over the course of a little over a month, his girlfriend Jennifer testified to us that sobrang nabago ang ugali niya. He testifies to her and her family of the church. He writes in his journal and finishes all the Book of Mormon chapters we give him. He listens with his whole heart and believes. He was so prepared and accepted everything we taught him. It increased our faith that as missionaries we seriously just teach the truths and study them but really all we do is find and teach. The Spirit really does everything. Wally's heart was so prepared and we are excited to see him go to the temple someday and be married for time and all eternity. Wally's experience increased my faith of the importance of referrals from members, and that truly there are people prepared for the gospel and we just have to pray and be willing to act on the Lord's promptings of where to go. We have to open our mouths and act in faith. He places people in our path.

I know that always my efforts are not enough. I always fall short in my efforts. But there is nothing more compelling than missionary work and I never want to give up even though I fall short. I have to keep pleading for courage, forgiveness, and hope when sometimes I feel inadequate or lost or alone. Because I believe I'm not. I have a wonderful companion too that stands beside me no matter what and we support each other. We love to see other people happy and that's what makes us happy. Sometimes we get stressed about the people we meet and how to help them and that's what stresses us out. I never want to be accountable for the failure of bringing someone to the truth that sometimes it stresses me out. I stumble over my words or am kinda awkward and sometimes don't know what to say.

We taught Sister Joanne Guerrero again this week. She is SURROUNDED by super faithful Latter-day Saints that are converted to the gospel, and she is a member of a Baptist church that has a lot of the same beliefs that Latter-day Saints do .We shared the Restoration, but what she really has to do is read the Book of Mormon. I think that is probably the only thing we can help her do. We can't force it but let the Spirit work with her over time.  We will not doubt, because God will make all commandments possible!!

Cultural Notes: I'm trying more vegetables this week. Trying to learn how to cook better haha. I don't know a lot of Filipino cooking. But I bought eggplants, and ampalaya, and stuff. This month is the season for SUHA -- it kinda tastes like grapefrusti but it's really big. People just give it to you if you ask. That's Filipino culture. They love to share everything they have.

Tagalog word of the Day: Pangangailangan -- it means the needs (like the needs of others)

THE SCRIPTURE THAT TOUCHED MY HEART THIS WEEK:
Alma 58
11 Yea, and it came to pass that the Lord our God did visit us with assurances that he would deliver us; yea, in so much that he did speak peace to our souls, and did grant unto us great faith, and did cause us that we should hope for our deliverance in him.

12 And we did take courage with our small force which we had received, and were fixed with a determination to conquer our enemies, and to maintain our lands, and our possessions, and our wives, and our children, and the cause of our liberty.

Love you all,
Sister Porter


No comments:

Post a Comment