Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Pasko na!!

We learned a lot this week of course. I had a great week studying. Studying has become my anchor to everything I do. I think I could practice more studying specific questions for my investigators -- but I have learned how to gain personal revelation in all my studies -- especially personal study. I studied a lot about Joseph Smith, conversion to the gospel and feeling it from the Holy Ghost, Revelation through Prayer, and trying to find answers to my questions. As a result, I learned so so much and couldn't constrain my testimony during fast and testimony meeting that I know without a doubt in my mind that Joseph Smith and Thomas S Monson are prophets and this is the true and only true Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on the earth. Jesus Christ is the way the truth and the life and I feel so blessed to see people finding the gospel in their lives. It truly is what changes lives and hearts.

Wally Licuanan is getting ready for baptism in the next couple weeks. He has been fellowshipped so well by a family in Bauang, the family of his girlfriend, and we are trying to get him involved with the single adults -- we have some really great single adults in this branch. He has been reading the Book of Mormon little by little and writing about it in a notebook and really believes that this church is true. He has felt the Holy Ghost. He's still trying to be sure that Joseph Smith is a prophet and we have to finish the rest of the lessons but he is progressing so well. He doesn't have a lot of support from his family but he is truly looking for peace and happiness that he sees in the Saints.

Jerome Bautista needs some more help because of the influences around him. He doesn't have a lot of support from his family. But The Book of Mormon he reads every day and Jesus Christ is becoming his anchor. Whenever he is sad or angry or makes a mistake, he says he goes to his room and cries to the Lord and receives forgiveness and his heart is changing. How incredible is the power of the Atonement. Jerome exercised faith to be healed of sickness only a couple weeks ago. That is true faith. He still needs some help staying away from bad influences and finding support in the church. He hasn't gone to church in a couple of weeks because of his Baranggay job. But his progress is astounding and truly the power of Christ. He wants to be regular in church and seminary so we will really focus on that with him this week.

We found some investigators this week seeking for the truth and asking us incredible questions. One was a referral from President Baybay -- Sister Joanne. She leads another church but there are SO many powerful Mormon influences in her life that what they said impacted her heart about the Spirit and she wrote down what she says and feels strangely drawn to the Book of Mormon. She believes a lot of the same things that Mormons believe, but this week we are going to focus on priesthood authority and the Restoration. They are a wonderful God-fearing family and know that God is working in their lives. It was actually an insane lesson this week because her questions are so so deep and we had to answer calmly and clearly from the scriptures. It was a little scary but we truly do believe that the Lord made everything work out. She was deeply pierced in her heart by temples and being sealed and that it was the only way to be married in heaven.

We did a Book of Mormon project at the palengke in Ortiz on Friday morning. We talked to tons of people and asked them to read pages of the Book of Mormon and what they liked about Jesus Christ. Some were truly touched and interested; others not so much. But we have some names to truly look for this week and follow up on.

Sister Ballesteros is doing great. She is becoming more involved in all the planning and our transitions are exactly 50-50 when we teach. We listen to each other's opinions and are strengthened by each other. 100% her heart is in the work and with her investigators. We also made a companionship language study plan that is helping us both improve our language. We get along great. We aren't perfect, but we love each other and love the work!

Cultural Notes:

The day of the dead was super interesting to me although we didn't go to the sementaryo, we were out proselyting. But everyone goes to the cemetery and stays with their ancestors. They bring candles to their doorsteps and have them going all night so that the dead can visit their house. I'm sure it has some Spanish root in it because the Spanish occupied the Philippines for a long time.

People love it when foreigners speak Tagalog. They absolutely love it. They love to see us trying even though we aren't perfect. One man came up to me and just said Thank you for speaking our language. People wave at you wherever you go. People here are literally the sweetest.

Sister Ballesteros told me this week that she doesn't feel like she talks to a foreigner. Even though my Tagalog is not perfect, she says my inner personality is literally Pilipina/ pinay and I think it is so true. I seriously couldn't fit in more with a culture in my opinion. I tend to be a shy, but laughing and sensitive person and so are they.

I hope you all know how much I love you!!!!!!!!!!

Sister Porter




No comments:

Post a Comment