Monday, November 20, 2017

One Soul Unto Me

We kind of had a rollercoaster week. The ups were the best, and the downs were hard too. But on weeks like this we know we have to press forward and not give up because Jesus Christ is perfect even though we aren't.

I also believe that Heavenly Father doesn't want us to feel discouraged so we will continue to believe in the power and perfection of Jesus Christ. The things that I might be able to do might be small and seemingly insignificant because of my capabilities, but I know that the grace of Jesus Christ can give us power to do good works that we otherwise would not be able to maintain or do. As much as I wish to understand everything, I know that God has a perfect plan. I try to live the commandments, I never EVER go without a day without the Book of Mormon and sincere prayer -- I tell Him everything on my mind. I know that when we feel this way that it means that if we press forward and take a step in what seems like darkness in faith in Jesus Christ that things will work out. I know that this is His work -- even though sometimes we feel like we live in a world of confusion because of human agency.

This week also had one of the happiest day of my mission. Seeing Brother Wally baptized was probably one of the biggest outpouring of love I have ever felt. Seeing him so happy and his girlfriend happy filled us with so much joy. When he took that step of faith and was baptized, and then bore a simple and absolutely beautiful testimony about Prophet Thomas S Monson, Joseph Smith, Jesus Christ, the feelings of repentance, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the feelings of his heart, the Book of Mormon, we were overjoyed. He was so grateful and so happy. He bore a sweet testimony in Priesthood meeting too. We gave him a picture of the temple and told him that that should become his goal. He is taking the priesthood seriously and is studying everything he can about it. The only thing that concerns us is that he is shy, so we are going to keep trying to get him connected with the young single adults. But one thing I know -- that to see such a humble seeker of happiness start on the path to eternal life -- when he makes it to the temple and endures to the end I know I will feel a fullness of joy. Not because it was because of me. To be honest all we did was come to his house regularly, teach him, and give him reading assignments, and care about him. That's it. He and the Spirit and the member family that fellowships him did the rest -- almost everything. It has been a privilege to see the work of salvation happen in a young man with so much potential. He even introduced us to his family this week. They were a little apprehensive but are very proud of their son and who he has become in just a couple months.

Our other investigators are having a lot of personal struggles and are not so easy. We've been looking for more people to teach. We found one sweet family -- but we aren't sure yet their interest in the gospel. But we know it will change their lives as a family. We found them through the Book of Mormon project and looking up their name again on our list of names.

Hmmm... Anything else? New food... I am trying to learn to cook more Filipino hahaha. I'm getting into Filipino veggies -- sitaw, talong, ampalaya, calabasa. I'm not much of a cook but we get along hahahaha. Also, our branch mission leader had a great FHE at his house -- we love the Javiers, they take care of us hahaha--- we eat crabs and other Ilokano dishes. It's suha season and the fruit is soo good this time of year. I love it.

Culture -- haha sometimes I forget what is different about culture here and there in America -- We don't have Thanksgiving if you're wondering. But Christmas is coming and Filipinos love Christmas!


Sister Porter


No comments:

Post a Comment